1.25.2016

Snap, Crackle and Pop







What motivates you to step out of your comfort zone?  Is it witnessing someone else stepping out of theirs and feeling inspired?  Do you avoid it like the plague because change is scary?  Are you comfortable in your zone?  Do you believe in the saying 'if it's not broken, don't fix it'?

Change is scary.  It's as scary and uncomfortable as witnessing a house centipede fall out of your laundry as you move it from the floor to the washing machine and then it proceeds to fall on your foot and then take off as if it's ass was on fire.  It then scurries away at ludacris speed into no-mans land never to be found again until you least expect it (but fortunately for you you've decided to never do laundry ever again). 

Comfort zones are the opposite.  They're like a warm, fluffy blanket on a winter morning day when you've woke up late for work. 

You have to eventually get out of bed or that blanket will be your only form of heat. 


I've woken up plenty of times thinking that I'd love to get in better shape because my knees creak more than old wood floors and that I snap, crackle, and pop more than Rice Crispies just by breathing and I already have a headache just by pushing the covers over.  Ah... maybe tomorrow. Blanket quickly returns to previous  position.

Inevitably tomorrow came and it wouldn't stop staring at me!  It was as if it was calling my bluff,  "Ha! I knew it! You lazy ass!"  

You have to find it within yourself to set goals.  Do you have goals?  It's what will take you from point A to point B.  But if you're content, you can stop here.  This blog is clearly not your cup of tea.  This cup of tea comes with a side of  'don't complain if you're not willing to change'. 

No worries, it's complementary.  No charge.  And, you're welcome.

I H.A.T.E.D working out.  See what I did there?  I emphasized the word 'hate'.  Strong word, I know.  It deserves said emphasis.  Even the thought of working out made me that much lazier and vomit some days, not necessarily in that order.  I could never shake the thought that I hated working out that much.  I kept myself in my own prison.  Here's why:  I didn't know where to start.  I felt lost.  What weights should I start at?  I don't want to feel sore.  Should I lift or use machines?  Will everyone be staring at me because I literally look like I don't know what I'm doing?  Because I don't.  Clearly.  I'm acting like pushing 60lbs with arms similar to that of gummy worms is no big thang.  But, really I want to die because I can barely finish my second rep.  Should I get a gym membership or work out at home?  Will these workout pants bring all the boys to the yard?  If not, I'll just work out at home.  Sweats are fine.  What DVD's should I buy?  Am I doing this right?  Thankfully I'm not doing this in front of a mirror.  How's my form?  Who cares, I'm alone.  I'm not seeing results.  I quit. 



Sound familiar? 

So many people quit too early.  I think it's for one of two reasons.

One: They set a goal too far out and go hard too quickly.  They fizzle out.  Their intentions were good but the follow through was just too much.  You've set the resistance too high on the elliptical and now, only 10 seconds in, you quickly went from "Yea!  Let's do this bro!" to "Whoa, bro, can't feel my legs." 

And it's very obvious.  But... "A" for effort! 

Two: Lack of support.  Everyone needs support.  Like, good sports bra support.  Whether it be a friend, a spouse, a trainer, etc.  They don't need to be your treadmill buddy competing with you to see who can produce more sweat, just someone to keep you accountable and root you on. 

"Hey, man, your face is beat red, you look like a glazed donut and you look seconds away from passing out, but, you're doing a great job!  Keep it up!" 

You need someone that notices gains and compliments you and makes you feel like all this hard work is paying off, even if you don't see it yourself.  Having a support system when you're bettering yourself is important.  There's inspiration everywhere.  You just have to find out what it is that is holding you back from feeling the best you can. 

What would it take for you to take the first step into feeling your best physically? 

I know for me another reason I hated working out was because I knew I didn't even have my diet in check.  Cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes were not helping my cause.  In any fashion. They sped straight to my ass and hips as fast as they flew down my gullet.  And there they slept comfortably.  I loved them so much I could bathe in them.  But, I wasn't mentally ready to change that part of my life, which believe it or not, is the most important piece to feeling your best.  If you haven't given yourself the opportunity to cut out the things that are not good for you (yes, unfortunately, they are things you could eat until comatoast), then that has to be your first step in feeling your best.  How bad do you want it? 





I say find what motivates you.  Who motivates you?  How do you want to feel?  How can you get there?  Who can help you get there?  What vices (that you know are holding you back from reaching your goals) are you willing to label as 'treats' and not 'constants'.  I'll share mine.  Chocolate.  Another food I'd bathe in given the opportunity.  I use chocolate as a treat now.  It used to be a meal

"Dinner's done." 
"Oh, I already ate, thanks."  Licks fingers and side of mouth clean. 

Recap. 

What motivates you to change? 
Who motivates (or inspires) you to change? 
What are your wants?  Do those wants get you to feeling your best?
What are you willing to do to reach your goals? 
How good do you think you'll feel once you've reached your goal(s)?
And finally, what's stopping you?  It's that sneaky yet very persuasive comfort zone, isn't it? 








Love,

Nicole




1 comment:

  1. I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying right now...love, love, love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete