1.23.2016

2016




I'm all about honesty.  Here's a truth for you.  I think I've started four blogs now.  Four!  And none of which I had the intention of not following through with. I'm sure they're swimming around the internet somewhere either very lonely or living the good life with the other orphan blogs. 

2016 is a different year for me.  This year I plan to stick to my blogging, among other plans.  I need to make time to finish what I've started (with blog #5, of course) because not only will it hopefully inspire some, but it will keep me accountable and motivated.  Well, that's my plan of course. 

I'll start with a little about me. 

In my 33 years, I've gotten more optimistic, opinionated, strong-willed and sarcastic.  I tell ya like it is and will jump at the opportunity if asked my opinion.  I love sharing my experiences and stories in hopes of someone seeing hope in their own life.  I love to read about random things and will research better than the FBI on some things.  I'm particularly interested in learning more about vaccinations, nutrition, fitness and how to be a better me overall.  I have three young children; 3.5, 2 and almost five months.  My two oldest are boys and my littlest one is a girl.  I've been married for 11 years and together with my husband for 15.  We spent the first eight years of our relationship kid-free and in that time we did almost everything together.  My husband is my best friend.  He's caring, supportive, funny (drier than the Sahara Desert dry humor), smart, and loving.  We met in High School and have only gotten stronger as the years go on.  If we're apart, my first thought is when we'll be together again.  I'm sure it annoys him on a certain level.  I'm ok with that. 

With as much as we have going on, we're always trying to find ways to simplify our lives along with staying the healthiest.  And by healthy what I really mean is making chocolate chip cookies a couple times a week and drinking wine.  Ok, maybe we don't do it that much, but we definitely make room for those necessities in life.  Because, let's be honest, what's a life without the two of those?  Right, none.  With this new found 'let's be healthier' attitude, and with three young ones, sometimes I sit and shake my head and wonder what I just got myself into.  It's hard work juggling working out, eating right and making time for everyone, to include myself which I've recently found to be the most important.  "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."  Sounds about right.  Just ask my family.  Before kids we would go out all the time to different restaurants, to the movies whenever we wanted, and just lived a very spontaneous and carefree life.  Then we had kids.  Now I'm lucky to poop every couple days and pee without a hand greeting me under the door.  I live the good life, what can I say.     

It wasn't until after our daughter was born in September that we decided to really get real about our nutrition.  Sure, eating frozen pizzas and making cookies a few times a week won't kill us, but it definitely gets in the way of getting us to feeling the best we can.  I stopped eating dairy thinking that was the cause of my daughter's digestive issues.  Come to find out unfortunately dairy was not the reason, but I started to feel better.  Her issues, thankfully, went away shortly after we overhauled our diet completely.  I'm still working on her eczema. 

At the end of September we went full-on Paleo.  If you're not familiar with Paleo it's basically eating everything that a caveman would have had access to.  That means we ate a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, meat, some nuts and healthy fats.  We didn't eat much processed food to begin with so changing our diet so quickly didn't really affect us the way it has for some people.  I woke up a few weeks into it refreshed and energized.  Remember, I have three YOUNG children.  That was unheard of before.  I would wake up full-on "zombie" beforehand.  And, we weren't eating processed foods, so I can only imagine how someone that was eating that felt.  I know the cause of my 'zombie' feeling.  It was all the carbs.  Too many carbs.  We ate tons of oatmeal, white potatoes, rice and dairy.  Moderation?  We had none.  Sometimes one of those would be a meal, because it was easier.  If we liked it, we ate it 'til our belly buttons went from innies to outies.  No Bueno. 

Fast forward to today. 

We don't eat strict Paleo anymore.  We've incorporated carbs back in.  Both my husband and I were starting to feel very tired again and a lack of energy we once had.  I honestly didn't have answers as to why we were all of a sudden not feeling as good as we once did.  Is the fact that we wake up a trillion times in the middle of the night (so, basically we don't sleep) for a now very awake beautiful little girl the reason?  Maybe.  I was confused, nonetheless. 

Just within the last week, I had this crazy idea of wanting to compete in my very first Bikini Competition.  I know.  Crazy.  But I knew that with the dedication that I have for something that I want, I could get there and reach any goal I pin to myself.  I knew I needed to join a gym to reach this goal of mine because picture this: a very persistent two year old crying full blown tears because you can't pick him up in the middle of doing squats and having to cut them short because the crying is severely damaging your concentration (and your sanity), your three year old laying directly underneath you while you're trying to hold plank for just 10 more seconds while he laughs hysterically because he is so close you are practically touching noses and smelling each other's breath, and your four month old just so conveniently wakes up from her nap and wants out now... you can only imagine trying to work out with all that to be less than ideal or easy.  Some days, it's so bad, I have my shit packed ready to jet out the door the second my hubby walks in.  "See ya!!" 

So, my husband and I joined a gym the very next day.  We weren't complete hot messes, but we needed change. 

I also got myself a personal trainer.  I figured if I'm trying to get into the best shape of my life, I need a little help.  Ok, a lot.  I need a lot of help.  The first session with my trainer went great.  He didn't push me too hard as to not make me not want to ever return, but he knew by the look on my face by the third rep where I was, physically.  So far, it's been great.  I work out one day a week with my trainer and am dedicating myself to the gym at least five times a week with Saturday and Sunday as my rest days.  I'm following his nutrition plan and am doing right by it- as hard as it is when every time I open the pantry, the chocolate chips try to start a conversation with me.  Those little shits. 

I've done quite a bit of research on the competitions and every time I read about a success story where an average mom like myself decided to do something crazy like this, I get more and more inspired.  I'm so pumped to start this journey.  I hope this blog inspires you to live healthier and be happier.  I also hope it inspires you to get out of your comfort zone because as the saying goes "a comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there."  Do something that sounds crazy to you and everyone around you, just make sure it's safe and achievable. 

I know from my own experience how eating a much healthier lifestyle (while still enjoying my sweets and junk every now and then) has made me a completely different person, and not just physically.  I feel happier, more energized and ready to tackle another chaotic, fun and children-filled day with an endless amount of tears, boogers and tantrums to fill my heart to it's capacity.  I know you're jealous.  I just know it.

Here I'll share everything from a typical day in my never quiet house to my workouts to meals I cook for my family and everything in between.  I'll post before and after pictures throughout my journey to competing and what my meals and workouts are, strict to that.  So basically, it'll be a lot of random crap that I hope inspires you and makes you smile. 


                             "Love yourself enough to live a healthy lifestyle." 



Love,

Nicole

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write, Nicole! It never fails to make me laugh...:)
    Love you !!

    ReplyDelete